Monday, February 22, 2016

On The Fact That The Black Folks Of 1861 Winchester Virginia Loved Slavery So Much They Voted To Secede From The Union To Continue It!

I bet you didn't know that it's a fact that in 1861 (according to historian, Jonathan Noyalas, and the official Virginia county vote) Winchester Virginia voted 81% in favor of seceding from the Union. The most telling statistic of all is that nearly half of the black population there was free. I wonder how those folks voted?

And, yes, I do have an anecdote here. According to Roger Delauter's book, Winchester in the Civil War, it's a fact that an African-American women wearing a black crepe rosette badge in honor of Stonewall Jackson (who had recently died) was ordered by Union Forces to remove the badge and when she refused was banished from the town. People (whether they be Iraqis, Filipinos, or folks from the South) don't like being occupied apparently.

What this shows IMO is that Black people preferred living in bondage. In fact I bet that the half of the Black population that was free wished that they weren't. Due to the fact that many porch monkeys are so lazy. Hard to believe that they're also incredibly violent, given the fact that one could consider it hard work being so violent.

And, even if they didn't wish they were still slaves, these free blacks were obviously opposed to the other 50% of blacks who weren't free being freed. Because, if they had been in favor of freeing their enslaved brethren, they wouldn't have voted to secede, would they?

I should note, for the record, that probably none of these free blacks voted, given the fact that, according to Encyclopedia Virginia, "by the beginning of the eighteenth century... slavery had become more ensconced in Virginia and was defined almost entirely in racial terms [and] new laws restricted slaves' access to freedom and free blacks' ability to vote or hold positions of power".

None-the-less I'm going to imagine that these free blacks DID VOTE, and they said HELL YES, we want to continue slavery for those of us who are currently enslaved. Why? Because it fits my narrative (also, I assumed/guessed they were able to vote when I wrote this commentary, and didn't actually look it up until AFTER it was complete. Now I wish I hadn't, because if I hadn't, or at least not mentioned that I had, perhaps someone reading this might be fooled into thinking the VA darkies did love slavery? I mean, the fact that some Africoon American woman wanted to honor Stonewall Jackson lends credence to this assertion, no matter how absurd it might sound at first blush, no?).

Byline: This commentary was authored by Willis "I Love Strawmen" Hart. Purveyor of unfacts. LLIN-202.

No comments:

Post a Comment